Workington Hall defending Workington
The ruins of Workington Hall.
Welcome to the EDGE Guide to Workington Hall. Workington Hall is a shadow of its former self, although recent conservation work will prevent it from further decay.
A licence to crenelate was granted to Gilbert de Curwen IV in 1380, although the manor had been in the family since the early C13.
Mary Queen of Scots stayed at the Hall when escaping from Scotland in the 1560s.
The Hall stayed in the Curwen family until around 1930 when it passed to the Chance family by marriage.
Eventually the Hall was given to the Town Council but it fell into such a state of disrepair that they demolished some parts to make it safe.
This was in 1946 and shows the thinking that went on in council chambers around the country at that time.
While European cities and towns restored what had been damaged in the war, their UK equivalents demolished anything they could.
These are thankfully more enlightened times, and it is rare (but not unknown) for towns and cities that need tourist money to throwaway their assets.