Sizergh Castle in the Lake District
Welcome to the EDGE Guide to Sizergh Castle. One of the best houses in the county, now in the care of the National Trust, but occupied by the Strickland family for 750 years.
Originally built around 1340 as a peel tower by Sir Walter Strickland, it has received many additions and improvements over the next 400 years or so.
A wing was added to the tower in the C14 or CI5, and another two in the C16.
The Strickland family moved out of the house during the Civil War, but the house was left alone by the Roundheads under orders not to damage it.
Later on in the 1600's it was once again left unoccupied, but for a short period only.
The Castle has not had an eventfull life and is therefore well preserved, although it may have been in a poor condition during the Stricklands absence in the late Cl7.
The interior of the Castle is well known for its elobrate decorative wooden Elizabethan carvings and an impressive staircase, indeed these decorations are considered the best in the whole of the UK.
The gardens are also regarded as some of the best in the county, and feature the largest limestone rock gardens owned by the National Trust.
Sizergh is only about 2mls from Levens Hall, another fine old house with world renowned topiary gardens, both should be visited when in the area.