All Saints Church, Kirkgate,
Cockermouth. The All Saints that stands now is of the mid 19th Century.
An All Saints church has stood here since the late C14th when Henry
Percy, the Earl of Northumberland, had married the widow of Gilbert
de Umfraville.(see: Cockermouth
Castle), then the owner of Cockermouth Castle. Henry bestowed All
Saints Church to the town. This building was replaced in 1711 when a
new church was erected, this incarnation of All Saints lasted less than
150 years when it was ruined by fire. The Church that stands now is
Rooms (Church Rooms) is on nearby Church Went, just to the left
of this picture.
Back to the Gallery | Cockermouth