Brough Castle in the Eden Valley
The Keep at Brough Castle.
Welcome to the EDGE Guide to Brough Castle. Built on the site of a Roman Fort, (Verterae, the outlines of which are still just visible), to the south of the town of Brough, and approached through the village of Church Brough, the Castle has undergone some consolidation work under the care of English Heritage.
Built around 1090 by King William II the Castle has a chequered and bloody history. In 1136 it was seized by the Scots as was nearby Appleby Castle.
Both were held by the Scots until 1157 when they were retaken by the English and given by the Crown to Hugh de Morville though later repossessed in 1173.
The Scots almost destroyed the Castle in 1174 but between 1179 and 1190 Theobold de Valoines carried out much needed restoration work to improve its withered defences.
Thereafter, the Castle stayed in Crown control until 1203 when King John gave the castle to Robert de Vipont.
The Castle passed into the Clifford family's hands through marriage in 1269 and was occupied by members of the family until 1521 when it was extensively damaged by fire.
Lady Anne Clifford set about the restoration of the castle in 1660-61. On her death in 1679 it passed to her grandson Thomas Tufton who took stone from its walls, to be used on the improvements being made to Appleby Castle.
In 1763 Brough Castle was partly demolished.
The ruins that stand now are worth a close look and the Castle makes a striking sight when seen from the A66 road.